Tuesday, 11 September 2012

"WE'VE GOT TO LIVE, NO MATTER HOW MANY SKIES HAVE FALLEN".

Reading: Lady Chatterley's Lover- D.H. Lawremce  

You might remember in this post I featured my DIY garters- and here they are!


These where partly a practical DIY (my socks are always falling down!) but mostly I was inspired by the following...

... and if you don't feel up to making them your self, Creepyyeha has some amazing garters, as does Gigi L'Amours, Sacred Latex, and the amazing Swan Clothing

The were simple enough to make (when you don't accidentally sew on one half of the popper the wrong way) and was made from a thick elastic (about an inch thick), thin elastic (about half an inch thick), suspender hooks, black thread and clothes poppers.


1) Using the thin elastic stitch one end onto the suspender hooks (check the size of the elastic you need before you buy it). I got ALL of these supplies from Hobby craft.
2) make four of these suspenders leaving at least 2 inches extra then the lenght you want (if that makes sense) to attach to the wider elastic.
3) cut a length of the thicker elastic- I cut it to the width on my thigh so when overlapped for the poppers will be tight. I measured both thighs as my thighs are not even but this doesn't really matter.
4) fold over the end of the thick elastic slightly (so it make a neat edge) and sew on a popper to either side. Ensure that the elastic loops for the garter around your leg- so one popper is attached to one side of the elastic and the other popper to the other side. Not what I done the first time and had to unstich and re-sew it.


5) next make a loop on the end of all the suspenders so the loop is only SLIGHTLY bigger than the garter (so it sits nicely). You can attach these straight onto the garter but I wanted to make so I can adjust the suspender position if sitting uncomfortably.
6) Two suspenders attach to either garter
7) and you're done!


Now my plan is to make extra garter loops that I can customise with studs ect.
Jodie x

65 comments:

  1. Hi dear! Thank you for the lovely comment on my blog! I love your blog! Fine outfits and a good sense of taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem- thank you so much x

      Delete
  2. great post dear.
    Thanks 4 your lovely comment on my blog and for the idea.
    kisses,
    http://keepistylishandsexy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! What a fun and easy way to customise your look! I love it! Have a great week dear! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not really my cup of tea, but on you, it looks fierce! You pull this off so well!

    XO, Imke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank younso much- I know they're not everyones thing but thank you x:)

      Delete
  5. Good job! Wanna follow each other?

    silverwriting818.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are HOT. I have to try this. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- you should give it a go!

      Delete
  7. Loving these, they'll be so cool once studded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- cantvwait to have a studded and floral pair

      Delete
  8. Oooh, what an awesome idea! I'd love to see the finished version :)

    Tara
    The Style Rawr!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yet another awesome DIY from Jodie! :)
    I think they'd look amazing studded too x

    ReplyDelete
  10. these are amazing! !!!

    Eve!

    http://whenlifegavemelemonadee.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love a DIY, good work!

    http://www.bootyfurl.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, these turned out perfect! Love the edgy look it can add :)

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did- and I made a second pair in less then an hour last night x

      Delete
  13. I love garters. They add some sex appeal to an outfit.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a clever idea! These are so cute. Hope to see you wear them in an outfit post soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted an output with them last night x

      Delete
  15. oooooooooh I love these, can't wait to see how you style them! I want a pair now but don't think I'd have the patience to sit and make them :P
    The show on Saturday is at 3pm so maybe we could meet a bit before then and get a bite to eat for lunch? Kavita is vegetarian too :) any time is cool by me, but not super early as I shall be hungover!!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a studded pair in an hour last night watching a film half as keep- that takes zero patience! Can't wait or sat

      Delete
  16. Ooh, I love this idea - I feel like these will be perfect for all the 'school disco' themed nights at university haha!
    Such easy steps, too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this, what a great DIY.
    I'm your newest follower, I hope you will take a look at my blog sometime : )

    Jodie
    www.jodiesjunk.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow I love this idea! Cool!

    Please have a look at my blog http://www.pursesandi.net

    xx

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahhh so good! Such a brilliant DIY. No idea it was this simple to do. I might give it a try. Saves being ripped off at the underwear department in my local M&S!

    Gemma x

    www.gemmasatire.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, this is so cool love x

    http://supposeishouldblog.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Omg, these are so awesome and they looked so amazing in that outfit (the one with the trainer wedges).
    Ugh, you're the kind of person I just wanna sit around with and do craft. :) they're so good.

    L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm an awful person to be found while craftily- needles are everywhere!

      Delete
  23. Love it!!! so much!!

    www.meryswardrobe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Coool!

    xoxo
    http://www.its-dash.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh My Goth these are delicious girl - I love, love!
    You talented little minx

    Gems x

    Fashion, Well Done

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for your lovely comment! You're always so sweet :)

    XO, Imke

    ReplyDelete